Some Tips on using my blog

Please note the tabs at the top of my blog.

Picture Madeira. Here you find some great photos of this beautiful Island and I will add more from time to time, it is best to scroll to the bottom as this is where new photos will be.

Recipes. Here I will start adding some recipes of my favourite foods and drinks in Madeira, if you need a recipe for anything let me know.

Useful Links. Here I will start adding any useful links to do with Madeira, to help you get all the information you need before visiting.

Please note on the right hand column you have my connect with me icon to my social sites, 2 large links to my websites and one for direct contact to my email. Also if you join my blog you will never miss a post.

Contact me anytime, and I will get back to you within 24 hours.

Helping you have a better experience in Madeira.

Thursday, August 18, 2016

Rockfall at Madalena do Mar

One of my blog readers has sent me this story. Was anyone in the area at the time or hear anything about it. I know this area has had its fair share of problems over the last few years with the coast road still being closed.

Yesterday (Wednesday) at approx 8pm there was a rock fall at the
Sandy end of the beach where about 5 years ago the restaurant was destroyed.

No one was hurt but a lot of debris in the road that the tunnel passes through. The beach had about 100-150 people.

All escaped unharmed. Thank god. My son only hurt himself because his father fell on the rocks running to escape. A rock fell in front of my nephew as he ran away.

Interesting is that this year the beach on the dangerous side has even been furnished with some wooden steps to help people access the beach (the concrete ramp has a drop because of sand erosion).  The council do not have any warning signs at all and even welcome guests by building the stairs.

My husband grew up on that beach and rock falls were common summer and winter sit at least 80 years and probably longer. Why the council doesn't warn beach users is baffling.

3 comments:

  1. I can see lot more rock falls due to the resent fire on the island. Soil and rocks will move in the coming rains.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is so much length of beach at Magdalena do Mar. Why do people insist in doing beach underneath the Clive rocks....

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is so much length of beach at Magdalena do Mar. Why do people insist in doing beach underneath the Clive rocks....

    ReplyDelete