Some Tips on using my blog

Please note the tabs at the top of my blog.

Picture Madeira. Here you find some great photos of this beautiful Island and I will add more from time to time, it is best to scroll to the bottom as this is where new photos will be.

Recipes. Here I will start adding some recipes of my favourite foods and drinks in Madeira, if you need a recipe for anything let me know.

Useful Links. Here I will start adding any useful links to do with Madeira, to help you get all the information you need before visiting.

Please note on the right hand column you have my connect with me icon to my social sites, 2 large links to my websites and one for direct contact to my email. Also if you join my blog you will never miss a post.

Contact me anytime, and I will get back to you within 24 hours.

Helping you have a better experience in Madeira.

Saturday, August 20, 2016

22% of Funchal damaged by fire

The news this week showed that 8% of Madeira suffered fire damage and 22% of Funchal was burnt by fire.
A blog reader, and popular name on the German forums (WAUZIH)  sent me a map he has put together showing which parts of Funchal were affected by fire.
 This shows that most of the tourist areas are unaffected especially hotels, and all tourist attractions are running as normal. Some levada walk are closed and you can check these HERE



WAUZIH has sent me another map of the fire damage on the West of the Island. This covers the areas in Ponta do Sol and Calheta zones.

Calheta / Ponta do Sol

Campanario

7 comments:

  1. Thank you for your blog about the fires in Funchal. I was on holiday there for the week they started and could see the progress from my hotel room in 4 Views Baia hotel. We watched the local news but could not find anything in English language, I even emailed the TVs studio. Thankfully, you took the time to keep us updated via your blog. I even knew more than the hotel staff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hydra,
      If you visit Madeira again, send me an email and I can send you my 50 things to see and do.

      Delete
  2. I have just booked a holiday to Madeira and really want to walk through Nuns Valley. Is this part affected by fire? Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, This part is not affected.
    If you contact me by email I can send you some of my information I have put together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tobi,
      I would love to go to Madeira within one month and would like to know what parts are affected and what we should visit or not anymore because it's destroyed by fire. Could you help me?

      Would be great!

      Aletta

      Delete
    2. Hi you will need contact me by email.

      Delete
  4. Thank you for this fantastic blog, just stumbled upon it. I've been looking for a map like this with the affected areas after the fires, to plan my upcoming (first) trip to Madeira. Do you know if any of the botanical gardens or cable cars were affected by the fires?

    -S

    ReplyDelete